Thursday, August 09, 2007

Writer's source...

Most books on writing that I have read tell the writer to write what he or she knows best. I always thought that meant you should write what you have experienced in your life. Whether it is work or life experience doesn’t matter I don’t think. I look at authors like John Grisham, who used to be a successful lawyer, and I see where most of his stories are originating.

Then you have authors like Stephen King, who writes mostly horror or authors like R.A. Salvatore that writes only Fantasy Fiction. Where does the “experience” come from to write these wildly fantastical things? I think much of this can be attributed to creative ability mixed with writing ability.

If you believe that an author should write what he or she knows, or write from experience then the best way to find more things to write is to go experience more things. I think Ernest Hemmingway was a great example of this. He is said to have traveled the world and have had numerous jobs. He was probably trying to expand what he can write about.

I suppose if you go by this definition then there are many things that I have done that would add to what I can write about. I’ve experienced both the first and third world. I’ve been sick and healthy at times. I have seen, heard, felt, and smelled so many different things that I’m sure all of that would add to anything I chose to write about. It’s kind of interesting to think about all the things I’ve experienced in my life and how that colors the way I write and what I write.

Of course, writers the world over are different in how they go about writing things. Some writers need an outline to do a writing project, others have to just start writing and then let the story evolve as it gets created. One writer said it best though when he said, “If you want to write the most important thing to do is: WRITE!”

Hmm, I should remember that…

No comments: