Wednesday, August 08, 2007

India - "I haaaaaave the POWER!"

These words were uttered by He-man as he would turn from his “normal” mode into the hero known as “He-Man.” He-man must have never been to India.

Here at least twice a day the electricity simply turns off. Every single day at work it has happened and many times it happens while I am at the guest house as well. Now, at Sarjapur Road (where I work) the company has a generator that kicks in after twenty seconds to a minute. At the guest house however, there is no generator and so when the power goes out you usually have to wait for it to come back on. This process can take anywhere from a minute to fifteen minutes (so far).

This whole thing just makes me think of Panama. There were so many times while I was in Panama that the electricity would cut off and I would be left to lay there in the dark and heat without the aid of my fan. It was the closest thing to air conditioning we had, but the worst part was that the fan was the thing keeping most of the mosquitoes away from you, so when the electricity went out it was like thanksgiving dinner for all the mosquitoes.

Luckily this didn’t happen very often, even in Panama. When it did happen it never lasted longer than three hours. Which, granted, was a looooooong three hours! Anyone who has ever lived in a third would country probably knows what I am talking about (and is probably laughing at this post).

I know I laughed…

2 comments:

Kim said...

Yup, I know what you are talking about, When I lived in Guatemala, I remember that the power would go out every once in a while. I remember that at my mom's pharmacy she had a generator that they would use when the power went out! The great amenities of a third world country!

Iudo Faex said...

I know, its like we are so conditioned by the things we have in the U.S. that we don't even think about it at all. Sad, really.