Friday, December 02, 2005

Experience and Cyberspace, my bread and butter...

I’ve had a lot of “rant” type thoughts lately, maybe because I haven’t been updating my blog lately. In part this is because I didn’t have internet for the entire Thanksgiving break; oh man did that suck!! I forget how much I depend on the internet. I use it to get my news, my email, keep in touch with some of my friends via IM, shop for stuff, get basically any information I need, and to download fun stuff (mostly using eMule, if you don’t have it, get it). Yeah, so my dependence on Cyberspace is somewhat disturbing, but after carefully considering it I recognize that I don’t really care though.

Let me talk about the weather for a moment. I recently visited Arizona, for Thanksgiving, and the weather there varied between 60-80 degrees with a stiff breeze most of the time. The sun was ungodly bright and the sky was always clear blue with a few clouds. It was nice, but a bit hot at times. Now, this morning I walked out of my house and it was overcast, grey and gloomy. However, the temperature hovered somewhere in the low 50s. I felt wonderful because it was perfect. It was not too cold or too hot; it was perfect. I wish I had an outside thermometer so I could have checked the temperature this morning because I would really like to know what my exact perfect temperature would be. Anyone know what the temperature was at 7:55 this morning in Provo?

Last night I was thinking about how we depend on each other so much in life. I was laying there in my bed and I couldn’t sleep (no surprise there) and I was just thinking. I thought about how much we depend on each other for so many things in life. I think that this can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the situation. I still think that I personally need to be more independent, but I always think that. What do you guys think? Which is better and/or how much of each is good/bad? Do you feel that there is a point where you are too dependant/independent? I always thought that if you could be perfectly independent then you are too independent. I feel that one of the main goals in life is to learn to work together with your “brothers and sisters.” I think that when you learn to serve someone else and in turn be served without pride, then you are on a higher path that leads somewhere better.

One last semi-random thought before I quit for today. I like to write and I feel that I have had many different and varied experiences that I can use in my writing. I think that the best writers have had many types of experiences, both mundane and different, and they can take both of those types of experiences and incorporate them into good writing. So, whenever I have a new experience I like to think about how it is different than previous experiences (i.e. is it totally different or is it just a recurrence of a long forgotten one) and how it will affect my writing. As an example of this phenomenon, yesterday I was sitting in the MBA lounge working on a video I was making for a presentation when I had this terrible feeling that I was going to vomit. Now, let me describe this properly: I was sitting there one moment and then at the next moment I had an immediate, urgent need to puke my guts out. I stood up and immediately ran toward the bathroom. I wasn’t going to make it to the bathroom; I was sure of that, so I stopped at the water fountain to try and drink up some water and keep the bile down. It worked for a moment but I still had to run to the bathroom and stand over the sink. Then I just willed myself to stop feeling like I wanted to vomit, and that worked in a sense. I did not throw up however, I still felt really woozy and not at all stable. There was nothing for it though so I went back out and drank some more water.

This experience was probably a recurrence of an old experience, however I have never felt it as an adult, so it seemed new to me. I’m sure I can use that in my writing at some point, so that is good. However, at the time if you would have told me that the experience was good I would have stared at you balefully.

That’s it for today.

------------------------------------

Jill is the winner, she got the last quote from Harry Potter even though that quote appears in more than one movie. Good job Jill, you got an ambiguous quote and you even got the movie right. Good deal. Ive chagned the quote to something a tad more difficult, but its a funny one, so good luck and I hope you like it.

1 comment:

Iudo Faex said...

Nate:

Thanks for the input. Im glad that Im not the only one who has given this some thought.

Jill:
That song quote is awesome! It reminds me of the quote at the end of a movie (the name escapes me now):

"So, everyman is not an Island unto himself, instead he is an Island in an Archapelago connected beneath the water to other Islands."

Kirsa:
I think the weather there was nice, but just too dry. Im pretty tolerante of temperatures in the 40-90 range, but my ideal temperature is somewhere in the 50-80 range.

Thanks again for all of your comments my friends.