Monday, November 22, 2010

With a sickness...

I'm at work. I'm sick. My mind feels like its somewhere else though.

My nostrils are at times stuffed and then runny. They constantly feel like they are on fire though. I might as well be breathing fire. The coughing has gotten better though, it used to be I would cough till I choked. Same with the sneezing, yesterday it felt like there were small razor blade factories in the lower portion of my lungs and the only way to ship the product out was to sneeze. These factories had not yet discovered boxes however, instead they shipped the razors haphazardly in singles. Every time I would sneeze these razors would cut their way through my lungs, up my throat, bouncing off the back of it, and out my mouth.

Whoever the buyers are, I wish them a slow death.

The back of my neck feels tight, like someone with a large boot is standing on the back of my neck. Then there's the not so visible effects of the sickness. My stomach complaining as it tries to digest the energy I need to beat this bug. The subtle draining of energy as I try to function at my normal level at work.

I wish I could go home. I can't though. I need sleep. I need a new body.

The medicine did not help. I took it just over an hour ago and there has been no demonstrative change in my condition. Unless you count feeling worse. I dont though.

I got a flu shot this year, for the first time ever. This is not the flu, at least I don't think it is. It started on Saturday and I think I'll be better by tomorrow (optimism, ya dig?) but if this is a cold I havn't had a cold this bad in a long time. Years, even.

I have a long and storied history of getting sick on Christmas day. I think its the blatant consumerism in the face of celebrating salvation. Either way, of the last 30 christmases I've been sick for at minimum half of them. I do not, however, have a history of getting sick in the middle of November. That post Thanksgiving dinner feeling not withstanding. I think everyone gets that. Lets hope this is my Christmas sickness jumping the gun this year. I will be in DC with the family and I would love to not be sick during that time.

I'm obviously not too sick to work, so I'd rather be sick while I have to be at work than be sick while I'm on vacation. I'm sure you agree.

Anyway, wish me luck on fighting off this plague.

No comments: