Monday, February 13, 2006

I woke up to Flashbacks...

I woke up this morning and I felt like I was back in my mission. As soon as I opened my eyes I felt tired (just like every day of my mission after the first 6 months). I rushed to take a shower because I have so much to do today that I wanted to get an early start (just like most days of my mission). The shower was not cold per se, but it was not warm at all either. The water was just on that side of cold that if you had a choice you would choose NOT to take a shower (just like the mornings in my mission). That was exactly how the water was every single day in Panama. Now, you might be saying to yourself, "It was over 90 degrees in the morning when you shower so you should be happy." Well, that thought is all wrong. When you sleep in Panama your body cools down along with the weather (to a cool 85 degrees and 100% humidity as opposed to 98 degrees and over 100% humidity) and when you wake up it takes a while for your body to get warmed up and so showering first thing with mildly cold water feels just uncomfortable enough to be upsetting. Now, dont get me wrong by reading this. Even though the weather and your body cool down during the night you still sweat at every single moment all the time. I am sure I sweated even in the shower, but I just couldnt see it for all the water. It goes without saying that you sweated all day every day too.

It was for these reasons that about 8 months into my mission I switched to showering at night instead. I mean, I would still wake up after sweating during the night, but at least I did not have to look forward to feeling cold first thing in the morning. Call me nasty, but you were not there and if you were you would have done the same (like 90% of the american missionaries did).

I've been writing (and remembering) about my mission alot lately. Yesterday marked 4 years adn 2 months to the day that I have been home. Why should I think so much about my mission now all of a sudden? I have no idea. Has anyone who is reading this been home for that long or more? Did you go through something similar? I wonder.

**********************************

The quote up is from a movie called "The Wedding Crashers" I dont have time to change it right now so I will do that later. The quote is great, I think, because it embodies the way I feel about so many things in life: School, Work, Sports, Relationships, etc. I feel that too many people whine and excuse themelves for making honest mistakes when they should just ask forgiveness and move on. So this quote kinda emobides all that. Ill keep the quote up a little longer to let you mull over what I've said.

1 comment:

Krisling said...

I do that all the time and I haven't been on a mission. I studied abroad in England last year and I miss it like no other. So yeah, I haven't been home as long, but I still feel the same way you do. Or at least, from my understanding I do.