Sunday, August 21, 2011

Waiting...anxious...

It's currently 1:31am. My wife has just been admitted to the Women's Care Center at Northwest Medical Center here in Tucson for an emergency C-section.

They stuck me in this cubicle to wait so I hacked in to their computer (it wasn't hard) so I could post this. You'll see it when you wake up, and by then we'll be parents.

They tell me Vanina has something called HELLP Syndrome, a form a pre-eclampsia. Her liver functions are way off, her platelets are low, and her blood pressure is skyrocketing. All of that means little to me, really, when compared with what really matters: Vanina has a TON of pain in her chest (from the liver) and she can barely breath (BP mixed with the platelet thing).

The cause of all this: her unborn child. No one seems to know what exactly causes pre-eclampsia. The treatment is to deliver the baby. So that's what they're going to do, in a few minutes.

Pray for a healthy mother and child.

(slight pause here as the doctor came and talked to me)

OK, so they are having trouble putting in the spinal anesthesia. They decided to do that instead of an epidural. They didn't say exactly what the problem was but if they can't get it to work, they'll have to do general (put her out). I hope they don't do that, it will make this experience even more stressful than it already is right now.

I can't write about it any more, it's making my head spin.

Writing usually helps, it's not doing squat this time.

I'll post more later (today? tomorrow? not sure when but soon-ish). Call me if you need a quicker update.

1 comment:

Nate Irvin said...

This is exactly what happened when Toby was born, so I know how you're feeling right about now. Hope everything turns out well!