Friday, August 15, 2014

MMA 2014: A.J. "BigBro" Pielmeier vs L.P. "6 Tooth" Pielmeier

After dinner this evening the family moved from the dining room into the family room area of our house. Nina went to the recliner with Kira to nurse her, I went to my desk, and the boys went to the area in front of the T.V.

I had my back to that portion of the room and Nina's chair faced the T.V. and the area where the boys were. Apparently, Lucas and Xander disagreed about who was going to watch "their show" on the T.V. because after a few moments I hear Nina say sharply, "Let him go!"

Mind you, at this point I have not heard crying, whining, or other serious noises from either of the boys. At hearing Nina say this to the boys I rotate my chair around and am instantly frozen in place.

The sight I beheld at that moment stunned me because at first I wasn't sure what I was seeing, and then when I realized what it was I wasn't sure if I should laugh or immediately go intervene.

When I turned my chair around to see the boys it was immediately apparent they were having a serious disagreement. Xander was on his back on the ground with the top of his head pointed toward me, legs splayed out away from me, shoulder width apart. Lucas was face down on top of the lower half of Xander's body, laying with his head on Xander's right side just below Xander's hip. Xander had Lucas's right arm in both of his hands, one hand at Lucas's wrist, the other on his forearm. It looked like Xander was holding Lucas in an armbar submission hold similar to the one pictured below:



Two key differences from the picture above and what Xander was doing. One, Xander's legs were not crossed or on Lucas at all. Two, if the guy getting his arm locked is Lucas then flip him over so he's face down and on top of the other guy. Now, these two key differences don't mitigate the fact that Xander had Lucas pinned because Lucas is 16 months hold and he doesn't have the upper body strength or the abdominal strength necessary to lift himself out of the hold that Xander had him in. Needless to say I was stunned. I wasn't sure to laugh out loud or run over and help.

It all happened so fast that the decision was taken away from me anyway. At this point I was thinking, "Lucas is gonna have to tap out and I'm gonna have to go save him from Xander." It's important to note at this point that neither of my sons was crying. They were both making noises but none of those noises could be considered crying. Instead, they were more like grunts and such, maybe from exertion or from frustration, probably both.

So Xander has Lucas armbarred on the floor in front of the T.V., Nina is nursing Kira and saying for the second time to "Let him go!" and I'm stunned in my computer chair looking on. This goes on for probably five to eight seconds and I become convinced that Lucas is stuck and not gonna be able to free himself from Xander's grip. Then Lucas does what he always does: he surprises me and proves me wrong.

Lucas's head is facing the ground and flailing back and forth near Xander's right leg as he tries to extricate himself from what I'm calling the "Baby Armbar." I'm not exactly sure what went through his little head but I imagine it was something like the following:

I'm stuck. My arm is stuck, why can't I move. I want to turn my show on. I'm trying to move and Xander is holding my arm. I can't free my arm. I need to get free. If he won't let me go I'll use my only available tool.

At this point Lucas proceeds to bite Xander's leg hard enough to elicit a squeal of "Lucas stop biting me" from Xander. The bite also causes Xander to let Lucas go, get up, and limp away complaining about Lucas biting him.

At which point I burst out laughing.

Lucas Wins!


No comments: