Thursday, January 09, 2014

My PS3 is dead. Long live My PS3!

This past Tuesday morning, at the crack of dawn, my oldest son asked me to turn on Curious George on Netflix for him. I complied and turned on my PlayStation 3 Fat to get Netflix going for him. The light on my PS3 turned green, as usual, stayed on for a few seconds and then immediately turned a kinda sick looking green-yellow for a moment and then changed to a constant blinking red light.

Needless to say I was nonplussed. After doing some research, I found that this could be a symptom of any number of things the two most prominent are: my PS3 was overheating because of too much dust, or my PS3 had contracted the dreaded disease known as the YLOD or "Yellow Light of Death." This is the death of my machine. Apparently I can fix it if I want to get my hands really dirty and buy some parts. I don't think that's gonna happen though.

This is the end of an age for me. Once I finally get past the denial stage and throw the PS3 away this will be the first time since I was 9 years old that I have not owned a console gaming machine at my house (not counting my time spent in Panama).

I feel like having a funeral because I feel like a younger part of me just died. I had this last console longer than almost any of the others. I bought my PS3 in 2007, used, from a guy who bought his when they first came out in 2006. That means my PS3 is 7 years old. Some are saying that it's a miracle mine lasted this long.

2 comments:

Nate Irvin said...

That's too bad, dude, sorry to hear that.

On the Panama note though, I finally found someone who served in Panama too! There's a sister out from our ward to the Panama City mission right now!

Iudo Faex said...

Nice! I hope she enjoys it. I know I did.